CIA Declassified Mind Control Document
To check the veracity of this document, order it directly from the CIA as an individual document, or as part of the three CD set of declassified CIA mind control documents. Ordering instructions available here.
MORI Doc ID: 140401 Approximate date January 1, 1952
SUBJECT: Special Research, Bluebird
I. General Problem
For the past several months Bluebird has been endeavoring to ascertain by research, study, instruction and some practice what value (if any) can be derived from SI [Sleep Induction] and H [Hypnotic] techniques when applied to war and specific Agency problems. These broad problems; using known SI and H Techniques, may be classified as follows:
A. Can accurate information be obtained from willing or unwilling individuals.
B. Can Agency-personnel (or persons or interest to this agency) be conditioned to prevent any outside power from obtaining information from them by any known means?
C. Can we obtain control of the future activities (physical and mental) of any given individual, willing or unwilling by application of SI and H techniques?
D. Can we prevent any outside power from gaining, control of future activities (physical and mental) of agency personnel by any known means?
Bluebird believes that A (above) can be answered in the affirmative using SI and H techniques. Bluebird Is not fully satisfied with results to date, but believes with continued work and study remarkable and profitable results con be obtained regularly.
However, B, C, and D (above) are as yet unanswerable, although Bluebird is of the opinion that there is a worthwhile chance that all three may at some future date be answered affirmatively. This opinion is supported generally by numerous individuals having knowledge of these techniques and by much literature and intelligence in this field.
Since an affirmative proof of B, C and D would be of incredible value to this agency, Bluebird's general problem is to get up, conduct and carry out research (practical - not theoretical) in this direction.
Set out below is one specific proposal aimed at achieving our ends as rapidly as possible and with a maximum of security.
Through internal agency channels, Bluebird was given the name of [deleted] individual of [deleted] extraction and not a citizen of the United States who had been given certain operational security clearance. [Deleted] was reported to have done considerable work in SI and H and to have an unusual and interesting general background. [Deleted] was also reported as being reliable, trustworthy, a known anti-Communist.
In view of the above, and on the instructions of the Director of I&SS, [deleted] was brought to a safe area near headquarters and interviewed, interrogated and observed by Bluebird on 19, 20, 21 February 1951. [Deleted]'s personality, ability, and intelligence, sincerity and apparent security mindedness were impressive. Bluebird officers were unable to find any indications of deviousness or pro-Soviet interests during these observations. [Deleted] only apparent obvious weaknesses were his foreign background and non-United States citizenship.
According to [deleted] he was born in [deleted] in
[next two pages totally blacked out]
[Deleted] discussed at various times his work and interest in the SI and H techniques. He claimed that most of his present work was along the lines of hypnotherapy which involves post-H suggestion, but admitted that his experience with drugs, gases, et., in conjunction with SI and H was somewhat limited, although he was familiar with much of the literature (U.S. and foreign) in these fields. [Deleted] admitted that since he had been in the U.S. he had induced H conditions in at least several hundred individuals, male and female (in all age groups). [Deleted] demonstrated successfully some of his operating methods before the B officers on the 19th, 20th, and 21st.
For matter of record [deleted] was briefed on the security aspects of B work and cautioned against all and any discussion outside concerning these mattes. [Deleted] signed the standard secrecy agreement.
III. General Proposals
On the basis of [deleted]'s apparent ability, relatively simple and easy cover, background, personality and interest, it is proposed that [deleted] be either directly employed or contractually employed by I&SS for specific purpose of engaging in guided research, testing, and experimentation along SI and H lines under the general direction of the Director of I&SS and under the immediate direction of B.
IV. Specific Proposals
A. It is proposed that [deleted] be brought to headquarters immediately and formally interviewed by [deleted] (interview to include basis of arrangements, cover, locations, salary, operational funds, and securing of PHS).
B. It is proposed that [deleted] be given a full and detailed Polygraph examination by [deleted] on material prepared by [deleted].
C. It is proposed that immediately a full field investigation be started on [deleted] to include checking of all names, places, squadrons, etc., mentioned by him (High Priority).
D. It is proposed that immediately after [deleted] has been given full security clearance he will be thoroughly briefed, given all necessary funds and instructed to begin research and testing along lines set out in 5 (below).
E. It is proposed that after a minimum of time to permit [deleted] full opportunity to satisfactorily become operation, B offices and trainees will (under suitable cover) participate in and assist with the research and testing for purposes of training and experience.
V. Bluebird - Specific Problems
Set out below are specific problems which can only be resolved by experiment, testing and research as proposed in the paragraphs above. These are not in any sense all of the problems B is considering, but are merely typical and point up the need for practical research.
1. Can we "condition" by post-H (hypnotic) suggestion agency employees (or persons of interest to this agency) to prevent them from giving information to any unauthorized source or for committing any act on behalf of a foreign or domestic enemy?
2. Can we in a matter of an hour, two hours, one day, etc., induce an H condition in an unwilling subject to such an extent that he will perform an act for our benefit? (Long range).
3. Can we create by post-H control an action contrary to an individual's basic moral principles?
4. Could we seize a subject and in the space of an hour or two by post-H control have him crash an airplane, wreck a train, etc.? (Short, immediate activity)
5. Can we by SI and H techniques force a subject (unwilling or otherwise) to travel long distances, commit specified acts and return to us or bring documents or materials? Can a person acting under post-H control successfully travel long distances?
6. Can we use SI and H to combat fatigue, produce extreme mental effort?
7. Can we guarantee total amnesia under any and all conditions?
8. Can we "alter" a person's personality? How long will it hold?
9. Can we design tests to determine whether or not an enemy agent has been conditioned by SI and H or any other method?
10. Can we detect SI and H by use of SI and H (regression)?
11. Can we make a "conditioned" subject reveal by SI and H specifically how they were conditioned (drugs, torture, fatigue, hostage pressure, techniques)?
12. Can we devise a system for making unwilling subjects into willing agents and then transfer that control to untrained agency agents in the field by use of codes or identifying signs or credentials?
13. How long can we sustain a post-H suggestion - unaided - with reinforcement?
14. What would be fastest way to induce SI and H conditions - with drugs - or without any mechanical aids?
15. Can we devise a standard, simple, relatively fast technique for inducing SI and H conditions that can be used by untrained agents (with or without drugs)?
16. Is it possible to find a gas that can be used to gain SI control from a gas pencil, odorless, colorless: one shot, etc.?
17. What are full details on "sleep-inducing machine"?
18. How can sodium A or P or any other sleep inducing agent be best concealed in a normal or commonplace item, such as candy, cigarettes, liqueur, wines, coffee, tea, beer, gum water, aspirin tablets, common medicines, coke, tooth paste?
19. How effective can the "carotid artery technique" be made? Can it be used while subject is unconscious? Is it faster than other techniques?
20. Can we, using SI and H extract complicated formula from scientists, engineers, etc., if unwilling? Can we extract details of gun emplacements, landing fields, factories, mines?
21. Can we, while a subject is under SI and H control, show them a map and have them point out specific items, locations, etc., on the map? Can we also have them make detailed drawings, sketches, plans?
Could any of the above be done under field conditions and in a very short space of time?
What You Can Do
By taking action to inform ourselves and others, we can expose and transform these hidden manipulations..
- Inform your media and political representatives of this important information. To contact representatives close to you, click here. Urge them
bring these documents into the public light and release all documents pertaining to mind control and government-sanctioned use of hypnosis.
- Learn about the history and development of CIA mind control programs in this two-page summary.
- Read concise summaries of revealing media reports on CIA mind control programs available here.
- Visit our Mind Control Information Center at http://www.WantToKnow.info/mindcontrolinformation.
- Explore inspiring ideas on how we can build a brighter future for all of us by reading this short essay.
- Spread this news to your friends and colleagues so that we can fill the role at which the major media is sadly failing. By working together, we can make a big difference.
Final Note: WantToKnow.info believes it is important to balance disturbing cover-up information with inspirational writings which call us to be all that we can be and to work together for positive change. Please visit our Inspiration Center at http://www.WantToKnow.info/inspirational for an abundance of uplifting material.